Yes I know what you’re thinking: eggs can never be vegan. But they are when they’re made from tofu. Oh yes, I found another recipe with tofu that I absolutely love and have made a lot since I first tried it. It’s super healthy, quick and easy – so what’s not to like.
serves 2-3 people persons:
– 1 block of tofu (250gr)
– 1 tsp (vegan) baking butter
– 1/2 tsp turmeric
– 1 tsp kala namak
– 1-2 tsp herb mix to your liking
1. Put a pan on medium heat and let the butter melt in it. Olive oil is fine too.
2. Drain the tofu and crumble it in the pan. Let it cook for a minute or two.
3. Put in the turmeric, this is purely for the yellowish colour and won’t really flavour the ‘eggs’. Add some pepper and herbs, I use this mix from Pit&Pit, about a teaspoon or two. Let it cook for another minute or so until it starts looking like eggs.
4. Take the pan from the stove and mix in about a teaspoon of kala namak, or according to your own taste. Kala namak (or Himalayan black salt), holds a very sulfurous ‘boiled egg’ flavour so this really is the key ingredient that will make your tofu taste like a proper scramble. I got mine at the Pit&Pit webshop, but you can find it in the better health stores.
See how easy this is? I love making this on a Sunday for a late breakfast or brunch (so bougie, I know). I always put it on a nice freshly baked bun with some (vegan) butter. The best combination I ever had this with, was with leftover guacamole (so bougie I almost rolled my eyes out of my sockets). So instead of the classic boiled eggs, why don’t you give this a go for this Easter breakfast?