If you’re thinking ‘apple and cinnamon, how groundbreaking‘, you’re absolutely right. It’s the most basic of combinations. But why change a winning team?
Why not make it even better, with pecans and… raisins? Unless you’re one of those weirdos who hate raisins.
I think store bought granola can be quite expensive, and for some reason most of them contain honey (which makes them not vegan) or way too much sugar. It’s quite cheap and easy to make granola yourself and you can sweeten it with anything you want. Oats cost next to nothing and you can adjust the nuts and seeds or other ingredients to what’s in your cupboards right now. So please, feel free to experiment – I know I will.
makes about 500 grams of granola:
You’ll need –
– an oven
– a saucepan
– baking paper for lining a baking tray
– 3 cups (375gr) rolled oats
– 1/4 cup (40gr) dark brown sugar
– 1/4 cup (75ml) maple syrup
– 1 cup (100gr) toasted pecans
– 1 apple, cored and diced with the peel still on
– 1/2 cup (50gr) raisins
– 2 tbsp coconut oil
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 2 tbsp sunflower seeds (optional)
– 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds (optional)
How to make –
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. In a saucepan heat up the coconut oil, maple syrup and dark brown sugar, just until the sugar and oil in melted – do this on a low heat so the sugar doesn’t caramelize.
3. Put the oats, cinnamon, salt, diced apple and seeds (optional) in a big bowl, and pour the sugar mixture over it. Mix everything together, making sure you cover most of the oats. If you’re using raw pecans, add them to the mix, if using toasted pecans, add them after baking.
4. Spread the mixture onto a lined baking tray and let it bake in the oven for about 25 minutes. Give the granola another mix once or twice during baking (use a spoon and be careful!) Keep an eye on it, granola burns quickly.
5. Once baked, add in the pecans and raisins and give it a good mix. Let it cool for 15-30 minutes. The granola will be soft at first but will turn crunchy once cooled. Eat within two weeks or make half of this recipe if you don’t eat granola everyday (like I do lol).